Hello Dear Reader,
Above, is all that was finished of a disappearing nine patch quilt that I started in October 2012 at one of my quilting workshops. I had all the pieces ready to make a cot sized quilt and never finished it. It's going to someone for her baby girl and I needed it finished for the end of the school holiday. With a week to go! I finished. I made it, quilted it and bound it all today. I'm going to add some FMQ to secure it but it's ready to go.
All of the fabric is donated by you Dear Reader and you might recognise it as some of the fabric you sent me.
I used 144 5" X 5" squares and made 16 nine square blocks. If you are going to do this, position the fabric you like the most if the top/bottom corners as these stay whole.
I arranged each block to make sure that I had a good variety of fabric.
After I had sewn all sixteen nine patch squares, I cut them across the middle vertically and horizontally.
I then muddled up all the blocks so they were not with the original block they came from and then sewed the 'new blocks together'. I created blocks of four and then sewed them together until I had the finished quilt top.
I backed it, and again that was fabric donated by you Dear Reader. I patched together all the bits and pieces of batting/wadding I had and got straight on with quilting it.
So far, I've just quilted the blocks in 6" squares which is quite loose so I'll add some FMQ to the middle of each block.
I've edged it with my machine and again, do you recognise the fabric you gave me. I would never have been able to produce such a lovely quilt with old shirts and scraps and it's lovely to use such vibrant new fabric.
I love the backing fabric you sent me with the teddies.
And a long shot.
I'm off for a sit down and cup of tea..............it's been a long day xxxx
Love Froogs xxxxxxxxxxx